Most of us make the biggest of blunders when we are angry. The recent incident about a girl littering her boyfriend’s car with sanitary pads is one of the craziest news I have ever read on the internet. She thought he was having an affair, while he was actually out – planning a surprise birthday party for her. Oh dear…
This reminds me of a wonderful adage that my mother often states in our mother tongue:
An Angry Man Is Never Smart.
How often have you done something miserable out of utter rage and regretted it? How many times did you wish you never said those words to your dear ones? How badly have you hurt your loved ones with your angry meaningless words and deeds and hated yourself forever?
Once the damage is done; the relationship is never the same. You may patch up, but there is always the scar.
How can you avoid this? Prevention is better then cure. But nobody is Jesus Christ or Mahatma Gandhi. We all do have our temper and limits. I can’t tell you not to get angry. But one can always learn to manage the situation and handle the temper.
Here are some of the healthy ways that I have heard of / follow myself.
- Some have the habit of drinking several glasses of water when they are angry. That’s one of the healthiest ways I would suggest. It cools you down physically as well as mentally. It also doesn’t give you the opportunity to say mean things because you are busy gulping down the water!
- Take a shower or shut the door and take a nap. Now, that’s my favorite! A nap might sound like a difficult idea, but it does wonders. It helps the brain to relax and gives piece of mind. It creates the space to re-think as the heat of the moment is gone and you get to analyze the situation in a different light!
- Write down all those words in your journal or on a piece of paper, and destroy – burn/shred it later. Yes, I do that when am about to lose my temper. I have a separate notebook where I pour my heart out when am upset. Most of the times, when I re-read those words, I feel so glad that I didn’t carelessly utter them. Remember, destroying it is very important. You don’t want the other person to read it by chance! You don’t want those mean words around you either.
- Go for a long drive or a walk. If you can’t stay in the same space as the other person, you can always walk away for sometime and come back when your mind is clear.
Some of the important DONT’S!
- Never ever post things on social networking sites when you are mad. Moreover, advertising your meanness is also not a great idea. It might be a way to get back at the other person or might seem like an outlet for you, but for the world it would be “popcorn time“!
- Do not blog about it either. Even if you write one, do not publish it immediately. Come back after a day or two. You might thank yourself for not publishing it! ( I have trashed a few drafts myself!)
- Don’t go and grumble all the details to a third person and create a chaos. It is not going to help you in any way. Drama should be on stage. Not in real life!
- Do not text, call, e-mail that person right away. Once you hit the send button, it is over and done! So stay away from communication tech and apps until you calm down.
Those are some of my favorite ideas. Do you have any other interesting ways to avoid doing/saying mean things when you are angry?
Feel free to share them in the comment box below! 🙂
~ Yuvathi ❤ 🙂